Simply put, a small group is a small group of people who come together intentionally to develop meaningful relationships and grow in their faith together. Small groups can include Sunday school, social circles, and bible studies but their main purpose is relational in nature. Scripture defines the small group as such:
- A group that continues to reach, grow and multiply (Matt. 28:19-20)
- A group where community and fellowship take place (Matt. 22:37,39)
- A group that focuses on learning the Word to live it (2 Peter 3:18)
- A group where prayer and ministry takes place (Gal. 6:10)
- A group where people learn to use their gifts (Ecc. 11:4)
Seeking community is an essential component of Christian life. Within the context of a small group we find significant opportunities to mature in our faith, strengthen our relationship with Christ, and become one with other believers.